December 20, 2012

The End of the World As We Know It

Los Angeles, California

Yes, it's that time again. Winter solstice us upon us, and all the druids and new- agers (who I wish would just go take a place together in the country) are hopped up in the way that druids and new-agers get. And, on top of that, the Mayans are weighing in with a prognostication of...wait for it...the end of the world. That old chestnut.

Temperatures were in the thirties here in sunny So Cal. Last night, I was dancing at Bogie's in Westlake Village and this was the talk of the dance floor. People coming in saying...it's thirty-eight degrees outside. I should have been thinking about all the bougainvilleas we have here at Casa Healy which whither in a frost, but no...I was dancing for the last time of the year. Or maybe even...ever?



We're leaving for Carmel Saturday night, so I find the timing of this Mayan thing a bit problematic. Not that I would wish for the end of the world at any other more convenient time, it's just that the rental is fully paid for and I would hate to not be able to get my money's worth.

And if the world doesn't end, we still have to contend with a rain forecast in Carmel -- hell (pardon the expression) a rain forecast all across the state. I track weather on my iPhone in a variety of places; the region in Los Angeles where we live, Santa Monica, Carmel, Fair Oaks (Sandra's town), Thousand Oaks (where I dance), and New York City (where my friend Max is, mas o menos). Looks like rain and snow just about everywhere. Not only am I not dreaming of a white Christmas, but I'm also not dreaming of a wet Christmas. But, alas, I will take what I can get in Carmel.


As I've written before, we've had some crazy weather while we've been staying in Carmel, but last year... last year, le sigh... the weather was perfecto. It must have rained a bit, but over the holidays it was gorgeous and pretty warm. I was hoping for a repeat of that, but that was before the Mayans got into the act. So I guess I should just be appreciative that the world won't end and we will get to Carmel and whatever weather shall occur. Besides, there's a lot to be said for lounging around by the fire in pajamas. I haven't done much of that lately (like, at all).

So as the boxes and luggage continue to fill, I hang up my dancing shoes for the year! Hard to believe, but there you have it. Still, I'm looking at this as a half-full, not half-empty, glass. After all, if the Mayans had their way, I'd be hanging them up, like, forever. Thank you for reading my blog. Beware of flaming asteroids...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.