September 10, 2022

The Long Hot Summer

Los Angeles, California

And then, we experienced a relentless heatwave with daily temps over 100-degrees. During the ten day ordeal, I blew out a tire which required me to wait for a tow in a parking lot while the late-morning temperature hovered around 108F. All was well that ended well until later that week when I came down with an ailment which sent me to urgent care. But that too passed as these things shall.

Then, the weather got humid. And that change culminated in gathering clouds and a 12-hour rainstorm, compliments of hurricane Kay (or, since said hurricane traveled to us from Mexico, I call it Hurricane Que). It was glorious. Still hot, but glorious to me -- someone who hadn't seen rain since last Spring. I opened up all of the shades covering the french doors leading outside, and watched the rain dancing on the tile and pool in my courtyard. The Dodgers were rain-delayed for their game in San Diego. No one minded.

I thought back to the first day of my last semester of college. We had a rainstorm the day before, Labor Day. There are few things we appreciate more in Southern California than a hopeful preview of the season to come, arriving early in September. September is usually relentless hot. And that makes me think of the first day of school in both junior high and high school. My mom always took us shopping at Bullock's or Robinson's department stores to buy our fall clothes. That first day arrived and we dressed in wool skirts and sweaters. It was usually in the 90s. Thank God I abandoned fashion foolishness decades ago.

Even if Fall isn't exactly commencing, some other things are. I return to Mass tomorrow on 9/11. Fitting, as the first time I attended Mass at this church was on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 in 2011. Why have I waited until 9/11 to return? Well, we have been on Covid-watch, but the risk level has finally gone down. And, the choir doesn't return from taking the month of August off until the second Sunday of September. No small thing.

Additionally, Joel and I are returning to dancing shortly. Maybe even this week. I can no longer track when we last danced, but it has been months. We are amongst the only two people I know who haven't caught Covid. We are both relatively healthy, though through age and previous maladies, we are considered to be in a higher risk category. Friends who have gotten Covid report that it is no worse than a bad cold. But my doctor reminds me that we never know what new viruses might cause, down the line, once we allow them into our bodies. Polio rebounded on survivors; Epstein-Barre is known to cause MS and cancer; chicken pox begets shingles. I wouldn't freak out if I got Covid. But, simply put, better to avoid it if possible.

So, two good things will return to my life. Three, if you count the arrival of Fall later this month. I see pumpkins in our future. I'm happy.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.