August 5, 2022

The Voice of Summer

Los Angeles, California

My father was known in the family for many things. We called him The Shell Answer Man, after an oft-run commercial. What Dad didn't know, he would research. When we pondered a variety of topics at the dinner table, and invariable a question arose, he usually had the explanation handy. When he couldn't pull up the information out of the vast store of information he had in his head, he would get up from the table and pad downstairs in his socks to retrieve the almanac from a guest room lined with bookshelves. Back up he went to read to us and settle the question. Dad was a voracious reader of non-fiction. And, while we had them in the house, he rarely watched television. It would have taken away from reading time. Though it was said he ran track in high school and college, he was definitively not a sports guy, neither playing nor watching.

Dad came home after the war trained in radar and electronics and became an electronics engineer, and later an aerospace engineer. There were a lot of gadgets around our house. He built his own stereo system which was an exposed array of tubes behind a cabinet door and connected to our turntable where we listened to original cast recordings of broadway shows, borrowed from the Burbank Public Library. And in the garage, where he did a lot of building and tinkering, he wired a radio to the lights. When you walked into the dark garage and flipped the switch, both the lights and the radio would spring to life.

When I was quite young and my parents were working on some outdoor project at our home on summer nights, they would set up one of the cots which we used when we went camping in Yosemite Valley each year. I would be put to bed on the cot in the driveway, while my parents puttered around the garage and yard and my older sister played at some game or another. It was summer in Los Angeles, Burbank to be exact, and the nights were comfortable. I would lie on my back, looking at the stars and the moon and hearing the chatter of my parents. Our cat, Penny, would wander amongst us with characteristic curiosity. Those were perfect summer nights and the soundtrack was Vin Scully's voice coming from my dad's radio in the garage.

I think Dad liked baseball. I never heard him listen to football or basketball. I discovered UCLA basketball on TV when I was about twelve years old and had begun playing it at school. Other than that, there were no televised sports in our home except figure skating during the Olympics, as my sister and I both trained in that sport. No other sporting events around, except for Vin Scully and the Dodgers living in our garage.

My first professional baseball game was at Chavez Ravine, but was an Angels game. Who are these Angels -- Los Angeles? California? Los Angeles at Anaheim? Before they had a stadium, they shared Dodgers Stadium. Not sure how that schedule was worked out, but my uncle and his partner bought season tickets on the first base line. Great seats, though on the wrong side! Their seats were field box on the aisle with two seats and two directly behind, within the first five rows off the field. The peanuts were in small paper bags, this being years before the travesty of supersizing. We ate Dodger Dogs. Again, it was a perfectly warm summer night. And that night, Bo Belinsky, pitching for the Angels, pitched a no-hitter.

Did this make me an Angels fan? Not a chance. I went on to see two more (so far) no-hitters at Dodgers Stadium, both pitched by Dodgers pitchers including Fernando Valenzuela's. By then I was a fan, indoctrinated by my college boyfriend, David, and today even more so. And through those years of college, married life, and after, there was always, always the voice of Vin Scully in my life.

With his passing this week, I have listened to local radio coverage and texted with some of my friends. And this is the thing. Los Angeles is a city of transplants. The influx of Gen X and Milleninals who swarmed in to work in the goo of the film and media industry greatly changed our community and I accept that. But native Angelenos share the unique and special memories of having grown up here and thus remembering So Cal the way it was then. I know this is not unique to Los Angeles. But Angeleno nostalgia combines the visuals of freeway cloverleafs that actually moved traffic, with beaches still dotted with bungalows on the sand, and the music of The Beach Boys and that voice of summer, Vin Scully. It was a magical time and place to grow up and if you weren't lucky enough to have spent your youth here, you simply can't appreciate what it once was. Now it is just a city. Then it was a uniquely magical place.

As I have written before, I spent two of the summers of my adolescence in Waikiki and the Waikiki of that era had its own magic. But in spite of my family's history in the Islands, I was a summer import and couldn't appropriate the experiences of having grown up there. And that is what those of us who grew up in LA always feel. If you weren't here then, you'll never truly be an Angeleno.

The passing of Vin Scully reminds those of us who remember his voice from our childhoods, of the bliss of growing up here. Memories flood me -- at thirteen, daringly and quietly skinny dipping with my best friend after attending a party and coming home to her house where her parents were sleeping. Hundreds of drives through the canyons to the beach. Riding with boys in convertibles. The Rolling Stones on the radio on a warm summer night between movies at the drive-in. And Vin Scully's voice everywhere, all summer long.

I have spent time lamenting the ills of my upbringing, but through it all, there was always the golden memory of the spell of those summers. And along with the boys remembered from those summers, there was also, always, the boys in blue. The Dodgers will stay with us. But Vin Scully is gone. And we true Angelenos are missing him for all that he was and all that he meant to us. And feeling this final loss of that Los Angeles that once was.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.