August 10, 2020

Lobster Rolls

Los Angeles, California (where else?)

Todd texted me to ask if they could bring Connie + Ted's lobster rolls for an al fresco distanced visit. Connie and Ted's Lobster Rolls? Don't be kidding me, I responded. I set the big table outside, loaded the cooler with ice and drinks, set out both Clorox wipes and antibacterial hand wipes, and picked out an outfit to go with matching mask. Kinda my thing right now, matching masks to outfits.

They arrived with the lobster rolls before six. We were just coming off of a heat wave, and I had worried that it would be too hot outside, but it was perfect. As were the lobster rolls. SO good, even better than usual. Or maybe that's just how favorite food tastes when you haven't had it in a while.

They were the first dinner guests at my house since March 14th. And the first restaurant food I have eaten. And the first game I have played. We played Trivial Pursuit after dinner. The original Genus One Trivial Pursuit. It is forty years old and contains a lot of questions about the moon landing. It asked what the policy of racial segregation is (not was) called in South Africa. Entertainment questions were about movies prior to 1980. You wanna win? Play this with a millennial.

It was a lovely summer night and wonderfully comfortable to talk and laugh with old friends (family, in a good way), albeit masked throughout. They came directly to my patio and I designated a door and a powder room for their exclusive use. And you know what? I hate this. Of course I want to see friends and I want to open my home to my friends. But the protocol for dealing with these events is that you have to treat everyone as if they are contaminated. I want my house open to my friends. I want house guests. I want to be able to share food and drinks. But not now. You have to keep your distance and so, to add insult to injury, no greeting and parting behavior. This means (obviously), no hugging. I LOVE hugging and I miss it a lot. By the time this is over, I will be down about a thousand hugs. Seriously, the enforced disconnection is killing.

As I have written before, Lynnette comes to my home on a loose schedule of about once a month. She and Jim normally travel all summer, so I sometimes don't see her for months at a time. But this is five months! The last time I saw her was when we hugged at Sky International Airport in Phoenix before I boarded that near ill-fated flight to Monterey. We talk at length on the phone, but it's not the same. And I took for granted the days wandering around Ikea with her, eating Fatburgers, and traveling around the world while playing Ticket to Ride, thinking we would do it all over again next month. Which next month? And the worst of it, no plans can be made until plans can be made. It just keeps getting harder.

I guess we need to keep calm and carry on, right? Spending time masked, with Todd and Christopher, playing an outdated trivia game is better than not seeing them at all. And the lobster rolls from Connie and Ted's reminded me of how easy it is to make lobster rolls. And the weather remains mild and pleasant which, frankly, is a little plain damn weird for August here. So, I count the blessings as they present themselves. Time will pass, even if for now, it is being squandered on a pandemic. And so, I need to end on a happier note: Lobster rolls. What was it Sam said about drinking champagne as the Nazis were marching into Paris? This ought to take the sting out of being occupied? Would lobster rolls and champagne take the sting out of being held hostage by the coronavirus? Can't hurt... Thank you for reading my blog.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful flow of words that I ,well, recognize.

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.