May 20, 2012

The Lusty Month of May

Los Angeles, California


Yes, I'm back. Recently, throwing up an impressive two posts in one day. A dazzling feat of composition, concentration, and conundrum or whathaveyou. Whatever that all means.


It is May, and I am, as usual, celebrating that fact. I planted sweet peas, as they are my favorite flower. Usually only a couple of them take, but this year they all did, and they have been busy growing about a foot each night. They are cascading over the walls of the planter, an explosion of pretty pastel and bright- colored blooms. I intended to cut them for the house each week, but, I don't know, like most other brilliant plans I have, that one fell by the wayside. Still, I am enjoying the sight of them out the french doors of our kitchen.


So, it's spring. And, the joke amongst my friends about me and this season is this: I suffer from such spring fever that the gardeners are not safe from me. I am a faithful wife, but at this time of year I am ogling firemen and paramedics; young men with surfboards on the roof of their cars; any guy who is shirtless and riding a motorcycle. I don't know what it is. I am like this and always have been. I make no apologies for what goes on in my head at this time of year.


I am lucky that I dance, because it allows me to spend a little bit of time holding hands with a variety of dance partners (yes, firemen, and maybe gardeners, but somehow, I suspect, not surfers). Sometimes they squeeze too tight (ouch!); sometimes they hold too lightly (that's a lead? Where in the blazes is he expecting me to go?). Occasionally you get one of those dances that I have written about before. I call each of them: the dance of my life. Though, luckily, there have been more than a singular amount of them.


Had one recently at the wedding of The Lovely Cathy. My friend, Gwen, started calling Cathy this, and it has stuck in my mind for years. Cathy has been my Pilates trainer (spellcheck says she has been my Pirate trainer, arggh . . .) for well over a decade. But she's more than that. She's a frister; a warm-hearted soul who has helped me in more ways than I can enumerate. I love her, and hope she will be in my life forever. And I would feel that way, even if I hadn't had one of those dances of my life at her wedding recently.


Cathy married Norman in April, and it was a beautiful wedding and reception. It reminded me a lot of Billy's and my wedding -- both at 5:00 pm, both with an abundance of both red roses, and champagne. But the big difference is that Cathy and Norman's wedding had dancing.  And you know where I'm going with this. Cathy's close friend and attendant, The Lovely Carmen (oh what the heck! Let's throw this around when it fits), introduced me to her fiance before the ceremony. He's a really good salsa dancer, she confided, and further, offered to send him my way when they played salsa music. Salsa music? My ears pricked up.


The first salsa came on the heels of a song which had brought Billy and I onto the dance floor. He immediately tried to escape. Oh, come on, you can do this, I said, holding fast onto him, as I wasn't trusting that words alone could keep him on the dance floor. He reluctantly began the salsa steps that he learned a long time ago, but has not practiced in any way recently. But here's the thing: Billy can lead a right turn; he can lead a left turn. And, the piece de resistance -- he can very competently execute a cross-body lead. Voila! Three good moves and you've got combinations. Ok, so he needed some verbal cueing. We did fine, all the while moving closer on the dance floor to Carmen and her fiance, Charles. I wasted no time when the dance ended, pouncing on them and asking Carmen, Can I have him? She graciously turned Charles over to me. What ensued could have been awkward. We'd never danced together. It could have been ugly. It could have been really, really embarrassing (like me embarrassing him, I mean). But it was s-m-o-o-t-h. Charles is honestly one of the best dancers I've encountered, and he knew exactly how to match his skill with my abilities. I sensed that the floor had cleared, and I could hear Cathy and Carmen whooping as we finished. It was so much fun! Later when I went to the bar for water, the bartender complimented me on my dancing. A Visa moment: priceless.


You can carry moments like that along with you, even into the dark of the night, and the bleakness of a family situation. And, as I've said and written before, that is why we dance. It's for those moments; for the friendship with other salseros; for forgetting whatever is not right in your life. And all by just dancing. I do it all year long, but it's particularly not a bad thing to be doing as spring unfolds, the temperature rises, and all these guys on motorcycles, who are young enough to be my Idon'twanttothinkaboutit, take off their shirts. Winter is over. It's that time again. As Alan Jay Lerner wrote: . . . the time for every frivolous whim, proper or im-. And, while I keep it proper on the dance floor; I shouldn't be held accountable for the im- that keeps dropping into my mind this time of year, and neither should you. It's May . . .Thank you for reading my blog when you could be doing something else altogether. Come on people, do I have to tell you again? IT. IS. MAY.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.