May 10, 2012

Hiatus

Los Angeles, California


This pink LA, CA above could mean anything. It could mean I've been in the pink. Nope. It could mean I've been drinking . . . a lot, as in pink elephants on parade. Not really. Or, could it mean it's spring, when a young girl's fancy turns to . . . (ok thanks, everyone, for thinking she's not young!)?


My mom was in the hospital. It started when her caregivers reported that her dementia was getting much worse and very fast. My mom does not suffer from Alzheimer's. She knows who we are and can get pretty close to the correct date (come on, even I have problems with the date sometimes). What she has is vascular dementia. Her mental deterioration is quite slow, and mostly about loss of short-term memory. So this sudden increase in the dementia was suspect. After an episode of syncope (I want to say she had an episode of synecdoche -- you know: once an English major; always an English major), she was taken by the paramedics (who were pretty, um, hot) to the hospital, and subsequently diagnosed with a urinary tract infection. Now why am I engaging in all this TMI? Because here is something I didn't know. In the elderly, UTIs present with confusion and agitation. And that, my friends, along with extreme dehydration was the reason for their perception of her increased dementia.


After the hospital she went back to a rehab facility for physical, occupational, and memory therapy. And that was when Billy and I got to work. It became apparent that her living situation with part-time caregivers was not enough. The doctor and the physical therapist recommended full-time care. That meant a nursing home or a board and care facility. One of my fristers recommended a network-colleague who runs a placement service for assisted care and board and care facilities (for info about Concepts for Living click here). And she helped me find a board and care home in our neighborhood.


This is a home with five residents and three or so caregivers (one of the caregivers has a son who also helps out). It is close to our home. The owner lives on premises and engages with the residents on a daily basis. She is a gardener, and the grounds are lovely. My mom's room looks out on the garden and pool. So far it has been a pretty good fit. But not perfect.


We had to ask my sister to take Mom's cat, Ashley Wilkes. Since my sister doesn't help at all with my mom's care (don't get me started), we weren't sure she would assist us in this way. But she's one of those cat people, or as my mom often says, she cares more about her cat than about people. It seems like this is true, though it is hard to tell for sure. My sister refused to give the other unit of blood needed when my mom was having knee replacement surgery and couldn't provide her own blood before the procedure. But then, my sister will never be put to that test with her cat, so, again, who knows where her priorities lie? Anyway (as I fear I'm tainting my blog with this stuff), let's move on.


So, Mom no longer gets to live with her cat, and that is no small thing to separate her from that comfort. But, of the homes that said they would let us bring her cat along with her, none of them provided any security against the cat getting loose or being mistreated by residents and staff. It was too iffy. So we made this tough decision.


Before placing her, we moved her out of her apartment at the retirement village. This required a lot of work, as you might expect. Billy did all the heavy lifting on weeknights and weekends, and we got her moved to her smaller space, while we stacked boxes of her stuff on top of other boxes of her stuff from her last move. A lot went to charity, but I was pleased that some of my friends took bits and pieces of furniture and kitchenware. I gifted a ceramic mug each to my Las Chicas fristers. It feels good to know that people I love will have something of hers. After all, my fristers are family.


Needless to say, her hospitalization and rehab was a long haul; the second of these that we have experienced this year; the third in the past eight months. Things could be worse. She knows us, and is always glad to see us. She lives close. The owner of the home, Hana, is wonderful, and Lana, who cooks all the food, is a wonder. It could all be worse than this. But still . . .


So I took a hiatus. It wasn't planned. I just found that the days blew past and I wasn't writing. Not here; not in my journal. I was walking around with a lot of thoughts in my head, but none of them coalescing into a post that I could put up here. At least not until very recently. I then picked up my pen and got back to my journal. When you concentrate on three things in your life, it is discomforting to let one of them stall, or more accurately, come to a screeching halt. But that is what happened. The mom stuff and the dad stuff is hard. It's hard for most of us. As I said to someone who offered me some solace for what I've been going through: we're either going through this; we've gone through this; or we will go through this. There's mostly no way out. Trust me, if you have a conscience, and from what I've seen with some of my friends, even if your parents weren't good to you, you will do this. Unfortunately, hiatus doesn't mean escape. But those who have been through this assure me that, when all is said and done, Billy and I will feel good about all that we have done for her. They tell me I must trust them about this. And, I guess that most of the time, I do. Thank you for reading my blog. Now go eat some cookies (see last post) . . . if you made it to here, you really deserve a reward!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.