September 1, 2026

Cocktails and Snacks

Los Angeles, California


Recently, I had some friends over for dinner. Well, kinda. Actually, they picked up dinner from a local healthy chicken outlet; white or dark meat chicken and two sides. They brought me the Chinese chicken salad I requested.

In anticipation of their arrival, I did some of the things I used to do when entertaining. I set the table, putting out plates, and cutlery wrapped into cloth napkins. I set out glasses for Pelligrino (nobody, I mean, nobody seems to drink any alcohol these days), and a dish of Japanese rice cracker mix. In days of yore, this would have been cheese and olives. And nuts. But as I kept wrapping those things up after guests left, I noticed that nobody, I mean, nobody was eating appetizers or cocktail snacks. The snacks thing makes sense, I guess. No cocktails; no snacks.

The dinner they brought was delicious, as was our lively conversation. No dessert, they refused the cake I had picked up at Trader Joe's (seriously, those little quarter-sheet cakes at Trader Joe's in a myriad of flavors? So tasty! Why bake?). Coffee, anyone? No. They left around 8:30, which is the time we used to invite guests to arrive. I get it. I'm not quite the night owl I used to be. Although when Lynnette is here, we have to force ourselves to stop playing dominos/Yahtsee/Ticket to Ride, around midnight, or so. But as a rule, I'm happy to part with friends around ten or eleven at night. After they left, I did what little dishes there were and watched the entire Dodgers game that I had missed but recorded. And, I ate cake.

And this all takes me back to the recent Mellencamp concert, where I was seated next to a 62 year-old Delta flight attendant whom I joined in drinking, dancing, and singing along with most of the audience. It was so joyful, and I remarked to Joel the following day that I think I need some younger friends.

Don't get me wrong. I love every one of my friends and enjoy the time we spend together. I have winnowed out the losers, and reunited with my ex-best friend, which has been beyond a blessing. But part of spending time with some of these friends is in the awareness that many seem to be eschewing culinary and other pleasures and some of that group are even tracking their personal numbers: Alcohol intake; steps; calories; carbs; glucose. Isn't just knowing these numbers, much less following them daily,  a little... self-absorbed? Like, a new rendition of '60s navel-gazing?

I recently had an incident where my blood pressure was elevated. My ex-best, Cin, suggested I track my BP, logging the numbers over a two-week period so I can report it to my doctor. I thought this was a good idea. I don't normally have high blood pressure, nor do I have either elevated cholesterol or glucose. I take no medication for any of these things. Do I know what my numbers are? No. I just know that my doctor tells me I'm in normal range, and that is fine with me. I want to sing and dance at rock concerts, not look at numbers on my phone. I don't have nor want an Apple watch nor Fitbit. I just don't understand this obsession with daily tracking of the functions of our bodies.

So, tracking my blood pressure, while glad that I did, reminded me of how much I don't want to track these things in my life. I want to dance a lot, drink alcohol when the occasion arises, attend concerts and other events. I want to eat, within reason, everything I want to eat. This might make me sound shallow. I'm not. I'm just retired! And, Cin, the ex-best-now-better friend, remarked to me that as much as she has enjoyed seeing Sarah McLachlan together twice last year, she also wants to attend a concert together where we stand and dance and sing. See, I'm not the only one.

Dolly Parton just died, and it is all anyone is talking about. And rightly so. She was beloved for all she did and was. And in no small part, isn't that about the exuberance and joie de vivre that she demonstrated throughout her life? It wasn't just her hair that was large, she surely lived large. So her death at 80 seems premature, but on the other hand, what a lot she packed into those years. She should be the spirit animal for all of us.

Going forward, I will continue to set out cocktail tidbits for my guests. I will continue to offer them cocktails, beer and wine (mine is a full-service operation). I will continue to pay exorbitant fees for concert tickets (because I want to sit close to the stage). And I will stay up late, because I can. Life is short. The remainder of our days have dates. Numbers. Those are the only numbers I want in my awareness while I continue to live, eat, drink, dance, and sing throughout all of the days ahead.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.