June 25, 2018

Under the Encino Sun

Los Angeles, California (duh...)

Someone has pointed out to me that I have been beating the "some come through in extraordinary ways" thing to death with a stick (see previous posts. Lots of previous posts). I suppose that speaks to how much that sad experience continues to affect me. As far as continuing to remark on it, well, frankly, repetition could easily be my middle name. However, even I can recognize that enough is enough (at least for now). So, with a nod to those who know who they are (and how much they are appreciated)... I will do my best to try to move on. 

Did you read the book Under the Tuscan Sun, or see the (guilty pleasure) movie of the same name? While not recommending either, I am reminded, and I may have written before (again, with the repetition/middle name) about my philosophy, that if you get one good recipe out of a cookbook, it was worth the price (if you are one of us who actually does pay for your books, and if not, shame, shame). Anyway, there was one worthwhile thing that I got out of either the book or the movie (details don't matter here). It was that you start in one place, in your home or rental, and make it yours. You polish, you bring flowers to that space, you prop up that special photo in that special frame, next to the candle. You start.

I have a decently-sized property and it is a lot to manage. And I want it to look feed-my-soul beautiful. Especially in the summer. So this past weekend, I worked hours and hours, pruning, cutting back, planting and encouraging my garden to bloom. It was backbreaking work, literally cutting through thick stems and hoeing through hard ground. But at the end, I sat on the tile steps in my courtyard, sipping ouzo and surveying all I had done. I started with a not-so-small place and made it... better.

Gardening is a metaphor for life and relationships. Are you a garden or a gardener? It is also a hands-on connection to the earth. Not a millenialbabble connection but a real connection. A dirt under your fingernails, your own fresh herbs in-your-pasta connection. I am not young, and my muscles revolt at this kind of labor, but my soul revels in it. For, in Scarlett O'Hara-fashion, this is my land. My home. The place I share with the people I love.

Brendan and Diana will join me here for a long weekend later this month. It will be their first summer visit in five years, and I have been planning our weekend for several weeks now. It will include Joel, and, with Joel, a night at a Cuban restaurant. The following weekend, Lynnette will be here. We had a 90-minute conversation this morning, even though she is in Prague, and I am in Encino. She has been in Europe forever, and I miss her, and look forward to her visit. There will be double-twelve dominoes in June.

Joel's birthday is in early July, and he will commence a week's vacation. We'll be spending Fourth of July with Connie and Curt. But, besides that evening, we will mostly hang out here, relaxing by the pool together. And, of course, there will be dancing in July. 

Karen and Greg (Greg = we were outlaws together) will be here for a weekend in mid-month and we will celebrate Bastille Day together. So, certainly, there will be brie and good bread in July.

After nine very hard years, the coming summer lands on a lighter heart, finally. This was kicked off in a stellar fashion by the Hollywood Bowl concerts in May. And, by the way, the Sheryl Crow/James Taylor concert was enjoyable. But I woke up the next morning, and went immediately to my Paul Simon playlist. That Paul Simon concert was, for me, simply the toughest act to follow. I continue to listen, and learn from his music which was in the background of my life for so many decades. What a gift to come to the party, even if so late in the game...

Summer and all it brings is on its way. If you live in Southern California, take in the light, and the cool June mornings. But, wherever you live, relish in being barefoot and candlelit with good friends (and good wine). After all, this will be the first summer of the rest of your life...

Thanks for reading, etc....




No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.