September 10, 2016

Time Flies...Whether You Are Having fun, or Not...

Los Angeles, California

It is said that loss and death, like plane crashes, often arrive in triplicate. And so it was for me in 2014. At the end of 2015, celebrating New Year's Eve with Joel, Connie, and Curt, I raised my champagne glass for a toast: I made it all the way through the year without anyone dying. Connie looked horrified. No, that's a good thing, I said. And it was. A whole year with no death. 

Another eight months passed and more changes. A goodbye to the business and support I had on Main Street. Goodbye Chilitos and Richard. Goodbye Cafe K and David at M Street. Hello house. Hello empty yet messy, filled-to-the-gills house. Getting organized. This project started virtually before the last one has ended. So little to do and so much time, as Willy Wonka stated, backwards. How does one strike that and reverse it, as Willy says afterwards? You got me.

While not tempted by self-help books (really doesn't that strike you as funny? If you could help yourself, why would you buy the book?), I seem to drift to memoirs lately and find some solace. Maybe this came as a result of the thought of writing my own. When that seems ponderable I think of structure. And, I think of the story. It's not pretty, so why do I want to tell it? And that, as Hamlet said, is the question.

So what about having fun? After all, time flies... as the title of this post declares. All of what was once fun for me has ground to a halt: salsa dancing; travel; cooking; even writing this blog (although I have written many posts over the past twenty-one months that I have not "published" here). People keep telling me I should go away; get away when the business closes escrow later this month. But I keep responding that I don't have the energy to think or plan a trip, much less pack for it. I want to sit for two weeks and stare into space. I want to spend time decompressing. Meanwhile, as my transition schedule at the business is not daily, I am catching up, cleaning up, playing the piano (yes, I know you didn't know this about me), and beginning a daily practice of meditation (again, + good luck with that). My official friend (we call each other that because we transitioned from dentist/patient after her retirement), Lynnette, has, with her vast generosity of spirit, invited me to join her and her family for two (TWO!) cruises. And I am very much thinking about one of them but it is not until next May. Lots of time to do what needs to be done before then.

So, loose ends to be tied. Or, fit to be tied? No matter which, time does fly. And whether you fly with it or let it blow on by; the days, the hours, the minutes are all we have to fill it and measure it by. My next post, already written, entitled Moving On addresses this in an entirely different way. So, stay tuned. I'll be back...


No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.