October 18, 2014

Another Saturday Night

Los Angeles, California

At home tonight, prepping dinner in my tiny postage stamp of a kitchen. The owners are young, and their decor is comprised of dark cabinets, dark floors, grey walls. An ubiquitous look that doesn't matter much to me as I try not to long for beat-up flooring and eclectic farmhouse furniture. Try. Not. To.

I am listening to A Prairie Home Companion as I have for many decades and it comforts me because of that. Garrison Keillor's voice has been a constant to me over the past thirty-plus years. One of the last things I do now each night is to listen to the podcast of his daily A Writer's Almanac. It gives a sense of closure to my day, and wistfully reminds me of my young dreams to be a poet.

Tonight, dinner is (as I look at the wreckage) leftovers from last night: pasta shells which I tossed with yogurt tempered with a spoonful of creme fraiche (truly the ultimate comfort condiment that will nurse me through it all) after tossing the pasta first with olive oil; pecorino romano, reggiano parmigiana, and truffle cheese (adding half of what I had grated); some magic pasta water; the mix of yogurt and cream, then the rest of the cheese. Lots of pepper. And with it all, I roasted fat, autumn red grapes with brussels sprouts. It was good. Besides the leftovers, I tossed a Caesar salad; the croutons crisply cooked in butter and olive oil; the greens, sadly-diminished, from a bag of organic romaine purchased at Trader Joe's several days ago, in a moment of I have no appetite, no idea, but maybe this would be good to have. I expect single humans everywhere will understand this.

It's so hard, this making my way and I feel sad and loose-ended. I remember what I left behind; needing to be the one to walk away from the house with the crystal glasses and the sunsets from my kitchen. I also remember the sad, empty misery of feeling left alone there in the midst of what should have been enough. I brought A Prairie Home Companion to the marriage. I bought the crystal glasses. I imagined and offered the let's do this, and the do you want to do that? I was an engine but was not the little engine who could. Otherwise, I would have made it work. I would have sucked it up and continued to pretend that there was someone else there with me. I would have made water from chocolate.

It takes a lot to leave your home. And it took me a long time. I didn't want to be the one who left. But the sad truth is that when a marriage is offering nothing to either party but blankness to one and pain and bad memories to the other, someone has to leave. And he was tenacious. Eventually, I found a place. I packed as I often packed for my months in Carmel, and tried not to look back. The old adage of possession being nine-tenths of the law is not a consideration in California matrimonial law. We own equally regardless of who retains residence.  It is still my home. I picked the paint colors, and the tiles for the pool that he did not want to build. I chose where art was hung. In the master bedroom a crucifix I bought in Carmel, a replica of the one buried in Father Junipero Serra's hands, hangs on the wall above a tiny watercolor of the Carmel Mission Basilica. And on and on and on. I said to my friend at the time: it's just stuff. And truly, is not what is substantial in life. But I had dressed my home with love, and, if it is true that home is where the heart is, what was left of my heart remains silently there.

I have often thought that the support I offer my friends when needed is surely within the realm of do what I say. And truthfully, at this time in my life, I would not recommend to anyone that they do what I do. I am alone with my limp romaine. Not stretched to the limit, but not yet seeing any hope of light at the end of the tunnel. This is it, and what I need to live. I won't stay in this place. I know this. I know this. I know this...

Tomorrow night I will go out. I will dance with Joel, and I will probably feel better. It is Armando's band, and he is a musician and a gentleman. I will be glad to dance to his music, and to applaud heartily after each song. He is from Nicaragua, and his brother is also a musician. Armando has his own band, but also plays in his brother's, where they make music together. That must be something; to create and share that, while watching us moving to the waves of music they are sending out.

I have always loved the Sam Cooke song, Another Saturday Night. It's a great singalong tune, and I have it in my iTunes library and on many of the playlists I have created, and subsequently given as gifts. So on this, another Saturday night, I tell myself that there is music; there is A Prairie Home Companion; there is pasta; there will be dancing. With Joel. I am a refugee, but life is as it should be for me for now. Maybe a faint glow at the tapering darkness of the tunnel will appear shortly. Maybe I will find myself a home down the road somewhere. A place to hang my hat and my heart. You never know. I guess you just have to have faith.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.