December 25, 2013

Carmel Christmas, Revisited

Carmel-by-the-Sea, California

So here we are in Carmel. And it's Christmas. We're on our own, with Todd & Christopher on a cruise in South America, Carole (Todd's lovely sister who has been part of our Carmel Christmas expat group) at home in Orange County, and Shirley, Billy's mom, at her home in Phoenix. My mom is at her board and care in Los Angeles. She isn't really aware of the holidays the way she was in the past. She will do fine with us out of town. Only I will be remembering the holidays past.

I'm not complaining. It's lovely to be here in this beautiful place. The house is wonderful, and we are comfortable in it. We had a nice dinner last night at Montrio, where we have spent the past few Christmas Eves. We went together to Mass at the Mission today. The new pastor is fine, but I miss Father John immensely. Still, weather is good. We took a walk this afternoon. We will stay in tonight, and enjoy the clam chowder which we take out from Flaherty's restaurant in town.

As I've written about before, one of the things that I enjoy the most about being here in Carmel at Christmas is that you really feel the holiday spirit. You don't get that much at home. Here, everyone seems quite into the cheer of the holiday. People smile, people say Merry Christmas. It's much more It's A Wonderful Life, than The Ref (though, truth be told, The Ref has been my favorite Christmas movie for the past several years. Watch it, and you'll grasp my concept of the Christmas spirit...).

Brendan and Diana will arrive on Sunday to celebrate New Year's Eve with us. We're both looking forward to it. Carmel is a wonderful place to be on your own, which is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. It's also good when we are here a doux, but more and more I find that I look forward to the time we spend here with my fristers and frothers. I think what is most special to us all is what we want to share with the people we love. How is that for Christmas spirit?

And so I close both this post and the year with the following. If you are lucky, you can hear Judy Garland singing this...

From now on we all will be together
If the fates allow
Hang a shiny star up on the highest bough
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now...

Thank you for reading my blog. And merry Christmas!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.