March 30, 2013

The Last Meal

Los Angeles, California

My dad used to tell the old joke about the guy who appeared to be uncharacteristically elated one day at his workplace. When his coworkers asked him why he was so happy, he confided that he and his wife only made love once a year. That's terrible, one of the workers exclaimed. And another cried, How can you be so happy?! Grinning, the man replied, Tonight's the night! Ba-ba-bing. And, boys and girls, Lent comes to an end at sundown tonight. And, need I say that there will be martinis.

But on a more serious note, we are coming to the end of Holy Week, and while I've made a lot of jokes about our sacrifice during the almost-seven weeks that have now passed, this has been a time for reflection. The sacrifice underscores that and keeps it in front of us. We have just passed Holy Thursday. Yesterday was Good Friday, and tomorrow is Easter. It's not all about chocolate bunnies and Peeps, you know. Nor about all the patter I've provided both here and more or less everywhere about giving up spirits for the duration.

But, to lighten it up a little...I want to write about the death of Nora Ephron. Seriously. At the end of the year, I heard a radio recap of interviews with celebrities who had passed away. It was just snippets of conversation, and I cannot remember the origin of the interviews. Maybe it was NPR's Fresh Air, which I often listen to when I am getting ready to go out to dance salsa. In the portion of the interview with Nora Ephron she spoke about how important it was to plan and have your Last Meal. To paraphrase, she said that most people don't get the last meal they want, so you should not wait, you should have it, well, NOW. Then she went on to speak about what would comprise her last meal. She was a cook, as anyone who has read Heartburn knows. I still use her recipe for vinaigrette, and always remember her mother's admonition not to bruise the ice in cocktails. So her mention of the Last Meal made me think.

A long time ago, on a blogless planet far, far away, I wrote about my favorite meal in a favorite restaurant. It was the late, lamented Citrus and the meal began with yellowtail carpaccio. That was one of the most wondrous dishes I had tasted at that time. But would it be part of my last meal today? To be honest, I'm not sure that I could come up with my last meal in the course of writing this post. And, surely, that's not the point. The point is for you, reader, to think about what would comprise your last meal, and following the advice of Nora, to enjoy it NOW (and maybe even often). It is food for thought in the truest sense of the phrase, and I intend to give it attention and come up with my last meal menu. After all, we know what was provided at the last supper. It was a Passover seder, and that's all well and good, but I can guarantee you 100% that my last meal won't feature matzo. I would want the best french or sourdough bread on the planet, and that amazing butter that I had at The French Laundry. Or maybe I would make my own sweet butter by using the old cream-in-the-jar method from elementary school. But that's about as far as I can go...

One thing I know is that there will be a cocktail, and there will be really good wine. And there might even be one of my favorite beers. Ok, too much. But not too much for this weekend, when Lent will end, Easter will be celebrated, and here at Casa Healy, life as we know it resumes. Or as we like to say on a Sunday afternoon, It must be five o'clock somewhere...Salut! Happy Easter, and thank you for reading my blog. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.