February 20, 2013

WTF

DOWNTON ABBEY SPOILER ALERT I'm sorry. Normally I'm pretty darn good about watching my language, at least here in blogdom. I think I can be forgiven for this outburst however, when I disclose that I just watched the season finale of Downton Abbey. So, here it comes:

WTF? Are you freakin' kidding me? OK, really? Really? No way. Way? No way! REALLY? Are you FREAKING kidding me? WHAT THE F?

Interestingly enough, we had seen Silver Linings Playbook Monday afternoon. If you've seen it, you might remember the scene where Bradley Cooper's character, Pat, finishes reading A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway, sometime in the middle of the night. He then throws the book out through a closed window, before waking his parents to rant about the ending where Hemingway unceremoniously kills off his protagonist's, and war hero's, love interest (it's been years since I've read this, so I may have bent the details a bit here). I sortakinda get that rant, especially after watching the last episode of Downton later that evening. I might have considered throwing the TV out through one of the large sliding doors in our den. If only I could have lifted it. If only.


And let me join the legions in writing that I saw this coming. Put a happy man in a nice convertible and show him enjoying the scenery and looking up at the sky...I immediately cried out NO!!! Frankly, there was foreshadowing galore as he had this beatific expression on his face which intensified as the episode unfolded. He was doomed. Believe me, I understand the impact on dramatic structure that killing off a main character can provide. The episode charged towards an culmination dripping with both blood and irony. But COME ON. I had even managed to forget the little blurb I read, before this season began, about Dan Stevens not returning to Downton for season four. I can do this forgetting thing in my fuzzy romantic world. My fuzzyromantic world that has just been assaulted. But, really? Really? Seems to me like we lost more characters this year than we did during last year's war and flu season. Is that right? Is that fair? 

So now we must soldier on without Matthew, and without Sybil (though she was less hard to lose, even if she was the prettiest of the sisters and had that lovely, husky voice). And now, we must put up with the new addition of Cousin Rose. Please.

Does anyone remember when Charlie, the love of The Duchess of Duke Street's life, died in the middle of the second series? Now that was tough, but it made sense. He had a head injury from the war. I think maybe he had been blinded. He just wasn't doing so well, so it wasn't so random. Plus, by the way, the whole concept of being killed in a car accident when there are hardly any vehicles on the road seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I'm just saying.

What will happen next for Lady Mary? Maybe another long lost cousin who happens to be a doppelganger for Matthew? Or they might install a shower at Downton, and Lady Mary can wake up from a nightmare and find Matthew in there? I mean, Holy Cow! And, now I'm running out of phrases and exclamations about this turn of events (not really, I'm just writing that). Think I'll finish up by going back to the one that bears repeating: WTF?!? Thank you for reading my blog. If you haven't watched Downton Abbey, but intend to sometime down the line, I apologize. But I did post SPOILER ALERT, so shame on you that you have so little self control...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
California, United States
Once, I came up with this brilliant idea (well, I thought so, anyway) that the key to happiness was to concentrate on three things -- to choose three interests, then focus and funnel your energy into that trio. I was an English major in college and have always written in some shape or form. So, my first choice was writing. I've always kept journals, and have also written plays, novels, poetry, and shopping lists. I do have a day job. It deals with numbers (assets and finances). Go figure. I went to college at a California University. I live in California, Los Angeles, but not downtown. No children, and sadly, between dogs at the moment (dog person, not a cat person). Enough info? I was going for just enough to not be a cypher, yet not enough to entice a stalker. And, I started my blog after being dragged, kicking and screaming, to do so. Blogs! Read about ME here, right? But I have been advised that this is a way to write regularly, and to put your writing OUT THERE. So, here goes. My name is Bronte Healy. Thanks for reading my blog.